Restringing a guitar can be a daunting task for beginners. However in just a few simple steps this can be accomplished with minimal frustration. When I started teaching music lessons for beginners in St. Louis I found it very hard to show youngsters how to restring their guitar. Here is my step by step process for changing a string on the guitar.
- Unwind the tuning peg to loosen the old string and remove the old string from the guitar
- Run the string though the backing slot of the guitar and pull it all the way through until the small copper ball end is pressed to the back.
- Thread the end of the string through the small hole attached to the tuning peg where the other string are running to their respective slots.
- Pull the string tight enough through leaving enough slack to wrap a few times around the tuning peg.
- Push the string down at the nut to ensure a tight wrap around the peg.
- Wind the peg around to fasten the string to the tuning peg.
- Tune up to the respected note and rock out!